In her first meeting since taking office earlier this month, Superintendent Susan Birkenmaier will discuss with the school board on Tuesday the development of a long-range strategic plan for the district.
Birkenmaier, who took office July 1, is required in her contract to develop a five-year strategic plan for District 113A by March 1, 2013. The purpose of the planning process, according to the meeting agenda, is "to determine where the district wants to be in the future and what steps ar necessary to get to that point."
, Birkenmaier said developing a formal plan was something that was important to the board when they were hiring a new superintendent.
"Curriculum and classroom instruction will also be at the forefront," she said. "District 113A already has a strong curriculum, but we'll be looking at ways to maintain the success the district has seen in recent years with test scores and making AYP."
Birkenmaier is asking board members Tuesday to consider what expectations they has about the strategic planning process, and whether the district should use an outside facilitator to coordinate the planning process.
The cost for an external facilitator is expected to range from $3,000 to $25,000, depending on the level of services required.
The proposed timeline for the plan is as follows:
- July 2012: Begin discussion on planning process development
- August 2012: Develop RFP or research and design internally driven plan process
- September 2012: Approve RFP or strategic plan facilitation process
- October/November 2012: Environmental scan, strategic planning committee member selection, vision and mission discussion/review
- December 2012/January 2013: Working backwards from the vision, develop desired outcomes, establish priorities and working goals to strive toward district vision
- February 2013: Prepare draft plan and refine as needed
- March 2013: Present final strategic plan for approval and dissemination
- March/April 2013: Prepare action plan and implementation timeline
Other items on the agenda:
- A $1.5 million interfund loan from the operations and maintenance fund to the education fund to ensure adequate cash flow until tax receipts arrive in mid-August.
- RFP for maintenance and supplies for copiers.
- Updated job descriptions.
- Finance and Audit Committee membership.
The monthly business meeting of the District 113A Board of Education will be held at 7 p.m. Tuesday at , 16100 W. 127th St.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
There are plenty of ways to keep up on news: