Halloween falls on Wednesday this year, and the Village of Lemont has set the hours of 3 to 6:30 p.m. for trick-or-treating on October 31.
Be sure to remember to turn on your porch light if you want to welcome trick or treaters to your home.
Have fun – and be safe
The Lemont Police Department offers the following tips for having a fun – and safe – Halloween:
- Trick or Treaters should be accompanied by a trusted adult.
- Older children going alone should have a set time to return within the trick or treating hours. Have them wear a watch and carry a cell phone.
- Costumes using make-up and face paint are safer than an ill-fitting mask.
- Children should wear comfortable, light colored clothing that is flame retardant and short enough to avoid tripping.
- Reflective tape on costumes, glow necklaces, flashing buttons and flashlights will all help make them stand out in the dark.
- Costume props should be flexible and not sharp.
- Remind children of pedestrian and stranger safety rules and to only cross streets at intersections and crosswalks.
- Obey all traffic signs and signals.
- Stop, look left-right-left again and listen for cars.
- Walk, don't run across streets.
- Walk on sidewalks or on the left side of the street facing traffic.
- Never allow a child to eat a treat that has not been checked by a responsible adult. Discard fruit, unwrapped items, homemade goodies or any treat with a loose or torn wrapper.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
There are plenty of ways to keep up on Lemont news: